Saturday, November 03, 2007

RRC 10: Story Book Food



This month's host for RRC 10 is Naomi of Straight Into Bed Cakefree and Dried . Here's her announcement! -- LR

I am just delighted to be hosting this month's retro recipe challenge and have been racking my brains for something suitably challenging. Rather than go with the obvious Yuletide theme, I thought I would go back to my childhood - the source of all things retro. Being of Irish descent, there were some pretty un-fascinating foods consumed during my childhood - butterscotch angel delight, smash, fluffy eggs (a bizarre speciality of my mother's which actually deserves its own post), and beany mince (yes baked beans with mince), and I think you'll all agree they don't hold much culinary merit or really deserve to be resurrected. Apart from the squidgy bitter-sweet Guinness cake I used to frighten my school friends with - that is truly the stuff of legend.

Instead I turned to the real culinary inspiration of my childhood - story books. From Maurice Sendak's In The Night Kitchen, through Maisie Middleton and her amazing home made breakfast to Brambly Hedge's hedgerow delicacies, I would dream about foods completely unknown to my humble tastebuds.

So my challenge to you is to revisit your childhood story books - it might be Paddington's marmalade or the tiny cake bearing the invitation, 'eat me', that Alice ate in Alice and Wonderland. Then find a way to recreate that dish using those retro recipe resources. The only stipulation is that the original recipe must have been published or originally made before 1980 (seems pretty recent to me!)

Make your story book dish and write a blog post about it - with pictures if possible and maybe even a link or image of the book you used for inspiration. Let us know where you got your recipe from too - even if it is something you remember your mother making. Then send the post to me at: naomidevlin (at) f2s (dot) com - by midnight on December 14th and I will post all the entries on my blog at the end of the month. I look forward to hearing all about it.

15 comments:

Carla said...

Laura Rebecca, I thought I was hosting the next RRC?

ShellyH said...

Great blog! When will the next update be?

Unknown said...

I have started a new retro recipe site, if anyone is interested in checking it out and/or contributing some good vintage recipes. See http://reciperewind.com.

Unknown said...

Nice recipes its a good work to show your countries culture to the world. I like the way you beautifully punched everything in the blog. I have also got a retro sweets website try to get some to check it.

xeeshan said...

I always found good posts and good recipies from this blog....

Keep it up your good work.

Appliance Parts

Donald Trump said...

Pure Keto Cleanse Just like most of the rest of our behavior, our eating habits are dictated by our beliefs, expectations, thoughts, and emotions

Donald Trump said...

black label x . While at the weight loss camp, as each person makes forward progress toward her weight loss goals, those around her offer positive regard for this progress. When this happens,

William Wiktor said...

Fiber Optic Christmas Tree You may be tempted by other Christmas lights. God knows there are lots of other options - colored Christmas ights on strings, green, blue, red or purple LED Christmas lights, miniature electric Christmas candles, bubble lights, and LED Christmas lights in a

Donald Trump said...

Superior Flux Male Enhancement Some of distinguished benefits of using natural male enhancer which are stated below:

Donald Trump said...

Biovirexagen How well do male enhancement pills work? The answer is in the billion dollar industry that revolves around male sexual health,

Donald Trump said...

Massive Male Plus difficult or even impossible as it once was. There are several natural male enhancements you can choose from to improve the size of your maleness. Remember that the matter at

Donald Trump said...

Ketophin BHB fun of the small portion sizes in the French diet. However what they are eating in portion is actually in line with what truly is needed. Just Google "world obesity rankings" and you'll see where US and

Donald Trump said...

Ketogeniks Keto , thus, weight gain does not necessary follow that you are getting fatter - it could be that you are getting leaner. Above all, always be honest to yourself if you really have gained some pounds

William Wiktor said...

Best Women Crossfit Shoes . After your sets you feel your lower back hurting, than you need to use more quad and shoulder strength. If your arms hurt than try to focus on exploding and pushing off with your hamstrings.

keven peterson said...

Keto Crush - such as high blood pressure, depression, sleep apnea, back pain and diabetes - improved greatly following loss of excess weight and long-term commitment to diet and exercise.